Making Garbage Collection System smart and cloud linked
Leveraging IoT Cloud or other suitable cloud platforms, EM310-UDL is ideal for monitoring fill-levels of any type of waste remotely and precisely in various containers like waste bin, then triggers alarms to cleaners when the dustbins are nearly full, contributing to the reduction of cost, energy and carbon emission.
Overflowing garbage bins have been another cause of concern for residents in developing countries. Due to increase in population, the scenario of cleanliness with respect to garbage management is degrading tremendously. With the already prevailing diseases, the open containers are proving to be a breeding place for germs. Traditionally, municipalities operate on weekly routes to pick up trash and recyclables on designated days, regardless of whether the containers are full or not. So, what if we could create a smart bin which alerts us when the trash is full.
The traditional way of manually monitoring the wastes in waste bins is a cumbersome process and utilizes more human effort, time and cost which can easily be avoided with our present technologies.
This is our solution, a method in which waste management is automated. We call it IoT Garbage Monitoring system, an innovative way that will help to keep the cities clean and healthy. What our system does is it gives a real time indicator of the garbage level in a trashcan at any given time. Using that data, we can then optimize waste collection routes and ultimately reduce fuel consumption. It allows trash collectors to plan their daily/weekly pick up schedule. A list of containers to be collected can then be sent to drivers to plan an efficient route.
Essentially, this project is about collecting the most amount of materials in the least amount of time to reduce costs and emissions along the way.
We have two criteria which needs to be satisfied to show that the particular bin needs to be emptied:
- The amount of trash, in other words let's say if your bin is half full you don't really need to empty it. Our thresh, or maximum amount that we permit of trash, is 75% of the bin. (You could alter the thresh according to your preference.)
- If supposing a particular trashcan fills up 20% and then for a week doesn't change, it comes into our second criteria, time. With time even the little amount will start rotting leading to a smelly surrounding. To avoid that our tolerance level is 2 days, so if a trashcan is less than 75% but it is two days old it then will also need to be emptied.
Furthermore, this project is supposed to work with any type of container and any type of waste, including mixed materials, paper, glass, metals and fluids. Thus, there will be saving in fossil fuel due to optimized route for collecting garbage and also thus transportation cost.
Smart Can level sensor provide users the capability of knowing the fill-level of each waste container in real time so that they can take data driven actions ahead of time. Along with a live monitoring platform waste collection staff can plan ahead how collections are implemented, targeting only the locations of full trash bins. We are going to use the Ultrasonic Sensor.
An Ultrasonic sensor is a device that can measure the distance to an object by using sound waves. It measures distance by sending out a sound wave at a specific frequency and listening for that sound wave to bounce back. By recording the elapsed time between the sound wave being generated and the sound wave bouncing back, it is possible to calculate the distance between the sonar sensor and the object. Our LoRaWAN® based Ultrasonic Sensor features are:
- 3-Axis Accelerometer: Built-in 3-axis accelerometer allows you to recognize
objects’ movement efficiently and reliably
- Dual Ultrasonic Sensor: measures from 3 cm up to 450 cm, thus has ultra-short blind zone
- IP67 Waterproof: work in harsh and wet environments with an IP67 rated
enclosure to protect against powerful jets of water
- LoRaWAN®Based: compatible with industry-standard LoRaWAN® gateways
- With a range of up to 15 km in rural areas and 2 km in urban areas
- Easy Configuration (via NFC)
- Garbage level sensors reduce operational costs
- Bin sensors help cities eliminate overflowing trash bins
- Easy to install and maintain
- LoRaWAN® Ultrasonic Disttance/Level Sensor
- LoRaWAN® Gateway
- LoRaWAN® IoT Cloud Platform